Cornelison Bassoon Forming Pin and Mandrel Set
We are thrilled to introduce our newest version of the popular Cornelison Bassoon Forming Pin and Mandrel Set, featuring our V2 handle! Compared to older versions of the set, here is a list of some of the changes that have been made:
- V2 Handle features a flattened side and bottom, to prevent rolling away at your reed desk and to facilitate easier forming.
- LC Double Reeds logo on the side of the handle.
- The hole of the handle has been very slightly broadened to address cross-batch fitment issues with older batches of forming pins.
- The machining process for forming pins has been more streamlined to ensure a more consistent texture and finish of the forming pins.
- The forming lines on the pins are now slightly deeper than before to aid in visibility.
- All forming pins now feature a rounded tip (this change has been in place with older batches since Q2 2018, but it is still worth mentioning.)
- The V2 handle features a higher polished finish than older batches.*
*while the new handles feature a higher polished finish than older batches, scuffs, small scratches, or machining marks may still be present at the time of delivery. There is no guarantee in the quality of finish.
Our forming pins, designed by bassoonist and LC Double Reeds' co-founder Conrad Cornelison, can be used with any shape of bassoon cane, have been thoughtfully designed with the Herzberg bassoon shape and "Herzberg Bevel" technique in mind.
Sensing a need for a product which would allow one to monitor consistent forming depths as well as post-bevel depths, we took average measurements of over 100 recently formed and finished reeds to determine where on the forming pin a bassoonist could form his/her reeds to add another element of consistency to one's reed-making.
Each forming pin is laser-inscribed with two lines: one which marks a recommended forming depth, and one which marks a recommended depth after performing the beveling process. We made sure not to include any hard ledges along the length of the forming pin so that our users have the option of deviating from our marks if they so choose. In this instance, our marks could be used as a consistent reference point.
Also included in this set is our newly designed tool handle, which fits perfectly in the palm of your hand and is perfectly balanced, so that your hand remains comfortable even after long hours of forming blanks. The forming pins are removable from the handle, but each set comes with 11 forming pins so that you can leave one pin in the handle at all times, if you so choose.
EACH SET INCLUDES:
- Eleven (11) LC Double Reeds forming pins
- One (1) LC Double Reeds forming mandrel handle
- One (1) acrylic drying rack which holds ten (10) of our forming pins, which has been tastefully laser-etched with the LC Double Reeds logo.